Why Nuclear Energy?
The role of nuclear power in Canada goes far beyond being a safe, clean, affordable and reliable source of energy. It has an important role to play in medicine, food safety, research and innovation and supports thousands of long- term, high-tech and well paid jobs.
Investing in nuclear generation as a source of baseload power for the province of Ontario is the best way to ensure a stable and affordable supply of electricity well into the future. The refurbishment of Ontario’s nuclear power plants is the largest clean-technology investment in the country.
Ontario nuclear facilities produce enough electricity to power millions of homes:
- Bruce Power supplies enough energy to meet the demands of 5M homes per year
- OPG Pickering supplies enough energy to meet the demands of 2.2M homes per year
- OPG Darlington supplies enough energy to meet the demands of 2.7M homes per year
GET THE FACTS on nuclear power and energy pricing in Ontario:
Low-cost nuclear power meets approximately 60% of Ontario’s electricity needs – it is the backbone of our province’s electricity system.
The cost of nuclear generation in Ontario is more than 30% below the average cost to produce residential power. It provides families and businesses with an affordable source of electricity that helps to reduce overall costs compared to any other energy options.
The nuclear industry in Ontario contributes billions annually to the Canadian economy and supports over 50,000 Ontario jobs:
- 15,600 in the daily operation and support of Ontario’s nuclear fleet;
- 9,000 in the process of being hired for the refurbishment programmes;
- 30,000 more are employed in the nuclear manufacturing, engineering, construction, consulting, research and development , fuel fabrication and medical isotope sectors.
Extending the life of Ontario’s nuclear fleet will inject billions more into Ontario’s economy.
Ontario’s nuclear power plants produce 70% of the worlds supply of Cobalt-60, a lifesaving medical isotope used to sterilize medical equipment, keep food safe, fight the spread of disease, and treat cancer.
The demand for a reliable supply of isotopes such as Cobalt- 60 and Molybdenum-99 continues to grow to support health care systems around the world.